Sunday, September 18, 2011

Crafty Book Review – Handmade Home by Amanda Blake Soule


Handmade Home: Simple Ways to Repurpose Old Materials into New Family Treasures



I recently* picked up a copy of Handmade Home by Amanda Blake Soule of SouleMama fame. This book is a total delight!
I loved that this book focused on reusing fabric. There were several projects that called for used clothing, which is a really neat way to preserve memories, I think. (I know I'll be saving and crafting with some of my baby's finest.)
This book really opened my eyes to different sorts of projects, and the idea of sewing useful things for the home. Before reading this book, I'd really only focused on sewing plushies. But once I got started making useful things, I was hooked. Our house is steadily becoming filled with handmade textile goodies. It's really oddly satisfying.

There are tons of projects to try, especially if you have little ones to craft for. If not, there's still plenty to keep you busy. It's a huge project, but I'm dying to try my hand at making a rag rug, as laid out on page 39.
There's a wide variety of projects, and nearly all of them useful.

Check it out on Amazon, where you can peek inside:





*Ahem. Okay, by "recently", apparently I mean February. Because that is when this post began. Somehow**, it never got posted until now.

**This is probably how:
This is what 18 pounds of plushies look like next to a baby with a cold. And that, in a nutshell, has been my week.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Let Feedburner tell you when Absolutely Small updates