Wednesday, December 30, 2009

3 Ways To Make 2010 the Best Year Ever – Part Three


Okay. You've set your goals. You've plotted them out with a project planning sheet. Now it's time to set things in motion.
First, a wee disclaimer. Managing time is NOT something that comes naturally to me. I really have to work at it. I'm really not an expert, but I am always researching and trying to get better. Here's a few things that I've picked up that help.

✯ What to do with those Project Planning Sheets?
You've filled them out! Awesome. However, they will do you no good at all if you just stuff them in a drawer somewhere.
Start making those projects real by writing onto your calendar the tasks you broke down. It's okay if you don't know how long a task will take. You can always adjust. The important thing is to give them the time and attention they deserve.

✯ Overscheduling:
I am queen of the over schedulers. Maybe you are, too. I finally realized that while there may indeed be a million things that need to get done, it's only physically possible to do a few of them a day. This year, I am trying very hard to keep my to-do list for the day to 5 items or less. If I can get more done, great. If not, that's okay too. It might be nice to feel like I've 'finished' work for the day once in awhile. ^-^

✯ Lists:
Lists are my friend. Oh, how I love lists. However, sometimes things stay on the list forever and never seem to get done.
One thing that seems to help is putting due dates on tasks. Another thing that helps is putting a time estimate on each task. That daunting email/phone call doesn't seem quite so bad when you realize it will only take you 15 minutes.

✯ Stay inspired!
Keep your goals in front of you. Literally. Write/print them out. Make 'em pretty. Tack them up where you can see them every day.

One site that I really find helpful for organizational inspiration is 43 Folders. The aim of the site is to help you to do what you do better, and not waste your time. (That said, of course you can waste hours there. But that's not the point.)

Go forth and be awesome!

9 comments:

marissa said...

thanks for sharing that 43 folders is really neat

Absolutely Small said...

Glad you liked it!

Tali said...

another thanks for sharing 43 folders. looks like a great site! tho i hope i wont procrastinate too much on there :)

joanna levine said...

you are the bomb lady. many thank yous for the the inspiration

Absolutely Small said...

You're welcome! Thank you guys for the sweet comments!

Gracefully Girly said...

Thanks, I LOVE 43 Folders. I've been meaning to get around to reading Getting Things Done so I'm so glad to read 43 folders and get a hefty dose of it and more. Lots of great stuff to get me working efficiently!

Absolutely Small said...

Awesome! Thank you for commenting. ^-^

ellen said...

thanks. this is the kind of thing i need to hear over and over. as in everyday. several times a day.

Tai said...

Thank you so much. I think we have some of the same personality traits so I know all your steps will really help.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Let Feedburner tell you when Absolutely Small updates