Friday, April 27, 2007

I remember a time before the plants grew- today's fox painting, this weeks' Illustration Friday


I remember a time before the plants grew
Originally uploaded by chicken widget.

I’ve been very active dreaming lately. Usually when I wake up, I remember only a tantalizingly little bit, or just a feeling. This painting sprung out of one of the more well remembered dreams of late. Then I translated it into ‘fox’. The fox paintings are making me so happy these days, people. Possibility! It’s like finding a new series of books that you never knew existed, with no visible end in sight, and instead of making you weary, it’s just exciting.
The 2 fox shrug that I bought hangs in my closet, little legs dangling. It’s too hot to wear it. Everyday, after I change my clothes, I take one little leg and pet it. I examine the little paw. I push my face into the soft fur of the belly, the silk ribbon that holds human arms in place, and breathe deep. I love this thing.
Hence the foxes have sauntered into my paintings, taking their rightful place front and center. Almost like the shrug has stuck a deal with me: “Sure, we’ll hang in your closet, but you’re going to have to tell our stories.”
Seems fair.



Parting shot and smartest quote I've head lately:
"we all do no end of feeling, and we mistake it for thinking." - mark twain

5 comments:

Felicia said...

Lovely painting!

Emily said...

Very charming!

imwithsully said...

This is wonderful. I especially like the story. If I had a fox shrug in my closet, I would probably do the same thing.

Alina Chau said...

pretty!

arvindh said...

love the orange of the fox!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Let Feedburner tell you when Absolutely Small updates