1. While most people in the arts think they have to be constantly looking forward to be edgy and creative....the real secret of creativity is to go back and remember.
2. Creativity comes from trust. Trust your instincts. And never hope more than you work.
-Rita Mae Brown
3. Anyone can do anything with a million dollars. Look at Disney. But it takes more than money to make something out of nothing, and look at the fun I have doing it.
4. Don't worry about originality. You couldn't get rid of it even if you wanted to. It will stick with you and show you up for better or worse in spite of all you or anyone else can do.
5. The secret of the creative life is how to feel at ease with your own embarrassment. We're all in the dirty laundry business and we're being paid to take risks and look silly. Race car drivers get paid to risk their lives in a more concrete way; we get paid to risk our lives in an emotional way.
6. One does not discover new lands without consenting to loose sight of the shore for a very long time.
7. What if you just did it your own way - no rules, no right or wrong, just what you think is beautiful?
8. Stuff your eyes with wonder, live as if you'd drop dead in ten seconds. See the world. It's more fantastic than any dream made or paid for in factories. Ask no guarantees, ask for no security, there never was such an animal. And if there were, it would be related to the great sloth which hangs upside down in a tree all day every day, sleeping it's life away.
9. Always be a first rate version of yourself, instead of a second rate version of somebody else.
10. Just stop thinking, worrying, looking over your shoulder, wondering, doubting, fearing, hurting, hoping for some easy way out, struggling,gasping, confusing, itching, scratching, mumbling, bumbling, grumbling, humbling, stumbling, rumbling, rambling, gambling, tumbling, scribbling, scrambling, hitching, hatching, bitching, moaning, groaning, honing, boning, searching, perching, besmirching, grinding grinding grinding away at yourself. Stop it and just DO. Try and tickle something inside you, your "weird humor". Don't worry about cool, make your own uncool. If you fear it, make it work for you- draw and paint your fear and anxiety. And stop worrying about big, deep things such as "to decide on a purpose and way of life". You must practice being stupid, dumb, unthinking, empty. Then you will be able to DO! Try to do some BAD work. The worst you can think of and see what happens but mainly relax and let everything go to hell.