Tuesday, March 8, 2011

A Peek Inside the Creative Life of Michal Wright-Ward

First off, a little backstory. Who are you? What do you make?
My name is Michal Wright-Ward, I've been making plush for about four years now. I make plush monsters, animals, and other silly creatures. I also draw, design and illustrate - cute/silly critters, of course.

Freddie - Bye!


What projects are you in the middle of right now that you should probably be working on instead of doing this?
Oh, there's always something cooking up in the studio. Right now I'm making plush and Christmas ornaments for my new online shop Mystic Forest Dwellers (www.mysticforestdwellers.com), and working on plush a gallery show I'm participating in this December. The sewing machine beckons (oy...).

The Jackalope's Cousin, Mystic Forest Dwellers


Where do you primarily create?
Everywhere, in our little half-room studio, on lunch break at work, in the living room... Pretty much everywhere except for the loo. Don't ask what my husband said when I was hand sewing in bed one time.

My sewing area


Where do you find inspiration?
Everywhere, mostly in children's books and in nature. I find that my fellow plush makers friends inspire me a hack lot too. There's just so much imagination at work out there, so cool!

Milo Hat and Pin: Luv-able & Hug-able & Wear-able 2010



Do you have a favorite book/blog/movie/etc you'd like to recommend?

I love theneedle.org, seeing what people are up to. Also Craft Magazine's blog and Whipup.net and Craftster.


Where can readers see more of your work?
I always post stuff on my blog http://yarn-n-coffee.blogspot.com, and flickr, but mostly lately - on facebook.

Thanks for sharing a glimpse of your creative lie with us, Michal!

2 comments:

Eerika said...

Thank you so much for sharing with us Michal! That was really interesting, and I don't think there's anything strange about sewing in bed. :D

emily b said...

I love these! Thank you so much for sharing Michal's wonderful creatures!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Let Feedburner tell you when Absolutely Small updates