Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Crafty Book Review - One Yard Wonders


One-Yard Wonders: 101 Sewing Fabric Projects; Look How Much You Can Make with Just One Yard of Fabric!


First off, let me just say that I do not have a fabric "problem". I have a fabric "situation". In my fabric stash, there is very little that measures over a yard. Working on Chickenpants and the like calls for much tinier pieces of material. As a result, I have tons of small-ish stacks of fabric. That's why I was so thrilled to find One Yard Wonders at the local bookstore.
101 sewing projects you can make with one yard or less? Sign me up!
The projects fall into a wide range of categories. Everything from clothes for adults to fabric organizers for your office. (To organize paper, not more fabric. Although you could.) Many of the projects were things I hadn't even thought to sew. (A CD sleeve for the car? Oh sure, it sounds obvious now...) This book got me inspired to look around my surroundings and start imagining ways I could sew a solution.
The directions are easy to follow, even for a non-direction-follower like myself. Many of the projects have illustrations and cutting layouts to help you through the process. The book also comes with a thick sheaf of patterns, tidily tucked in a pocket.
The book is gorgeous to look at, too. Scanned in fabric trims the edge of nearly every page, giving an effect not unlike staring dreamily at your own fabric stash.
If you find yourself in a situation similar to mine (or if you simply enjoy quick, inexpensive, useful projects), give this book a try!



No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Let Feedburner tell you when Absolutely Small updates