Sunday, November 14, 2010

Make a Blythe Snuggie

Introducing the Blythe Snuggie


This is one of the easiest and tackiest things I've ever made for a Blythe. I'd say it's one of the tackiest things I've ever made, period, but helloooo, Chickenpants! Diana Vreeland once said something like, "A dash of tackiness is like a dash of paprika." Agreed. Tacky can be fun. But I digress.
Here's what you'll need:

  • Polar fleece

  • Thread

  • Needle

  • This pattern

  • Scissors

  • Sewing machine (totally optional)


Here's how you do it.
Download and print out two copies of the pattern.

Download the Blythe Snuggie Pattern Here


Cut out the pattern pieces, and then cut out your fabric. Remember to cut two sleeve pieces.
How to make a blythe snuggie - step 1
Yeah, I'm using a rotary cutter, not scissors. That's because I'm lazy I have one, and it's easier than scissors if you cut a lot of fabric. Of course, scissors still work! Don't freak out.

Place the main pattern piece over the main fabric piece. You might want to pin it in place so it doesn't shift. Poke the arm slits with scissors, or a small rotary cutter if you have one.
How to make a blythe snuggie - step 2

Sew a hem around all 4 edges of the main pattern piece. Be sure to backtack, so your seams don't come undone.
How to make a blythe snuggie - step 3

Sew a hem on the bottom edge of each sleeve piece.
How to make a blythe snuggie - step 5

Fold the sleeve in half, and sew a straight line on the long open end.
How to make a blythe snuggie - step 6

To attach the sleeve, poke your finger through the arm slit. Put the sleeve on your finger. Then, pin the sleeve into place. (Not on your finger, silly.)
How to make a blythe snuggie - step 8
How to make a blythe snuggie - step 8a

Finally, stitch the arm into place with a needle and thread.
How to make a blythe snuggie - step 9

That's it! You're done!
Blythe Snuggie
Now the fun begins.
Whoo!


Snuggly, spinster-y fun.

20 comments:

Eerika said...

I resent the sprinster-y image that Snuggies have. And not only because I'm snuggled up in one right now. :D

Claire said...

Ha ha! Well, mark me down as a spinster too, then. They're so darn snuggly! ^_^

Erin said...

How big is this doll. My daughter is getting an "American Girl" (knockoff) for Christmas. Would it fit her?

Erin

Claire said...

Blythe dolls are about 12" tall - similar to a Barbie. American Girls are much larger, right?

Char said...

Spinster-y or not, this is just the cutest thing ever! I think I just might need to a Blythe doll to my collection!

Jessica Dougherty said...

This is so flippin' cute! Love, love, love! :)

Ashley said...

I have that apple printed waffle fabric the first blythe is wearing as pants! bwahahahha! That makes me feel awesome. my blythes are def. getting snuggies for thanksgiving!

Claire said...

Want to know something weird? I tried to make a pair of pajama pants for myself out of the same fabric. It did not go well! :P

Claire said...

Thank you!

Claire said...

Aw, thanks! ^_^ You totally should get a Blythe...they're so much fun!

Remnants: Week of 11-14-10 | PW Style | A blog about style, fashion, beauty, arts and culture by Philadelphia Weekly said...

[...] -Looking for the perfect gift for a Blythe doll lover? Why not make that lil doll its own Snuggie? Yes, Snuggie. Knitting things is so last year. Don’t worry, there’s step by step instructions. Absolutely Small [...]

How-To: Blythe Snuggie | roxannep01 said...

[...] of Absolutely Small shares this hilarious tutorial for making a Snuggie for your Blythe doll. Download the pattern, grab some fleece and get your Blythe all cozied up for the [...]

Kristy said...

I'd love any recommendations on where I can buy a Blythe. They are SO cute but I've only found $200+ on Ebay, etc. Do you have any suggestions?

Claire said...

Hmmm. I've only bought them from Ebay, so I don't really know. I hear you can get deals sometimes on the This is Blythe message boards. Sometimes there are deals to be had on used Blythes on Ebay as well. Hope this helps! Best wishes on your Blythe acquiring!

Roxanne said...

Hmm, if a real Blythe is too expensive try searching for Blybe or Basaak in ebay to find the clones being made. You can get a doll for $35 or so with the shipping. :)

Claire said...

Wow. Uh, please don't do that. Knock offs are never a good idea. (Or maybe that's just a sore spot for me, as a toymaker.) :)

AnyoneCanQuilt said...

You are a genius!!! These are the perfect mix of funny and cute. I can't wait to whip some of these up. Thank you so much for sharing!! Love your little Blythe couch too. xo

Shelley Mitchell said...

I now absolutely NEED a Blythe, so I can make her a snuggie! I love all the step by step photos. Maybe I'll modify the pattern and make one for my Mego Wonder Woman :)

How to Make a Blythe Hooded Capelet — Absolutely Small said...

[...] you’ve crossed into the territory of making snuggies for your Blythes, a hooded capelet isn’t that much of a stretch. And it’s not that much more difficult, [...]

Diana said...

This is too darn cute! I'm going to have to buy a Blythe soon!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Let Feedburner tell you when Absolutely Small updates